Disclosure: Compensation and product for this post was provided by The White Company. Opinions expressed here are my own.
Summers in Boise are pretty magical. Which is why I don’t necessarily need to always go on vacation. Relaxing at home can be just as amazing! A perfect summer staycation day can consist of exploring a nearby park and relaxing by the river. A friend of mine showed me a particular place that is perfect for picnics and lounging. It’s a wooded area near the Boise river – beautiful and serene. It’s my hideaway when I need to take time away from the hustle and bustle, to just clear my head. I pack up a bag with my essentials, throw on something comfy and cute and I’m on my way to serenity. Most of my goodies featured here are from The White Company, a British lifestyle brand that just came across the pond, opening their first store in New York in June. The White Company is a bit of a one-stop shop for everyday luxury – offering clothes, home goods, and bed and bath products, so the comfort doesn’t have to stop at what you wear.
When relaxing and taking a vacation at home, I’ve learned a few things on how to make the most of time off. Here are my top 5 tips:
- Grab a book, clear your mind, and READ. This is my favorite way to unwind! And hello – there are millions of books to choose from. Shut your phone off and unwind. Right now, I am just finishing up All The Light We Cannot See, a story of a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II. It’s so good!
- Eat clean and drink lots of water. Who wants to be sick in the summer? Not me. So I really try and take care of my body during these three months to fight off any risk of a summer cold.
- Take a hike and get good exercise while seeing the best views. We’re lucky enough to live right by some great hiking trails that look over all of Boise. This particular jersey dress I’m wearing is easy to pull on for a hike and it has plenty of stretch to keep you comfortable.
- Meet friends for brunch. This immediately puts me in a great mood! The Modern Hotel has my favorite brunch food in Boise. And the mimosas never disappoint. I can go right from my hike to brunch by pairing the dress with some fun tennies (a silver canvas pair keeps the look casual, with a hint of luxury).
- Go for a picnic once a week. Take advantage of this weather. And while you’re at it, invest in good picnic items, like a pretty blanket and sturdy dishware to throw an easy picnic for you and yours. Should you need just a little more to make you comfortable and limit your sun exposure, a straw hat is the perfect addition to keep you cool.
Summer is meant to be spent having fun and loving life. If you live somewhere where it is particularly hot, use the early mornings and evenings as your best exploring times. Remember that relaxing at home doesn’t have to take too much energy or cost. It’s all about being creative and adventurous.
All Images: Hailey Wilson for Simply Grove
Join our Newsletter!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.